A dual focus on both social context and technical opportunities is important in the field of IT education. After their graduation, students will be using technology to design meaningful application to be used in their communities and societies.
Tumaini University offers IT application courses and has focused on active development of IT
education as an important part of capacity building. Tumaini's IT curriculum is based on an approach that is contextualized to take into account the environment, culture, socioeconomic situation, and needs of Tanzania. Tumaini's IT curriculum is based on research, and our innovations in development of IT education have been widely published in international academic publication.
OBJECTIVESA meaningful information technology curriculum should not be oblivious to the needs of the surrounding society. In a developing country, that challenge goes hand in hand with the incoming IT students' limited experience with technology. Tumaini University's contextualized IT program emphasizes early identification of societal expectations of technology. The degree program follows six principles;
- It is designed to be contextualized,
- Internationational recognized,
- Problem-based (using local problems), and
- Based on continuous research on the program's formative development.
PROGRAMMEThe degree is aimed at developing five competency areas;
- Programming and Software engineering,
- Networking administration,
- Web developmentand e-business,
- Hardware and Software support, and
- General academic competency.